18 November 2011

"Just Deleted" and "The Odyssey for the Cup"

Oh man, what a WEEK!


Let's start this epic dual-post from last Thursday:


Thursday night the Quidditch team and I had our red-eye flight to New York.  Before that I had some free time between class and when I needed to meet at the airport.  Mirage and I have been getting pretty close over the last few weeks since Date One, and she came over right after class and then took me to the airport. 


I'm a fan of the red-eye, I sleep really well in vehicles of all kinds, so I pretty much slept the whole time.  Once we landed things got a little hectic, for various reasons it took us 3.5 hours to get from the airport to our hotel.  It mostly sucked since I was carrying a 45lb. box of tent poles that whole trip.




The World Cup started bright and early Saturday morning.  After taking part in the Opening ceremonies we had to wait about 3 hours for our first pool match against #2 ranked Kansas.  We all came out a little cold and it showed, easily our sloppiest game, but we kept it close, we lost by 10 on a snitch catch that came a split second too late.  We swept the rest of our pool, including a 120-30 win over Hofstra, who somehow beat Kansas, which created a three-way tie in our pool for first place.


Kansas ended up being the top team out of our pool since the scored more points against Vermont than we did, and then our bad luck struck.  Texas A&M had a fluke loss in their pool which dropped them to a #15 seed, while we came out with a #18 seed.  Yup, a standard 32 team bracket pits #15 against #18 in the first round, and thus we faced the only team I was afraid of right of that bat.  We played our guts out, I may or may not have earned a mild concussion while stopping an A&M drive to the hoops, but alas, it wasn't enough.  Personally I feel no shame losing to A&M, they were amazing, easily the best team at the World Cup, and they even told us we were the toughest game they had played to that point afterwards, what a class act.


It was good to play some of the best teams out there, I feel like we became aware of our weaknesses and we know what we need to work on for next year.


Hannah is officially deleted from my Facebook.  I actually forgot to do it before I left because I was with Mirage, and didn't remember until Monday morning.  How did I feel about it?  Not that bad actually, and, little anecdote here, Hannah texted me out of the blue about 20 minutes after I cancelled our facebook friendship.  I guess that gives me the high ground, so I felt even better about it.  Side Note: I did notice right before she was deleted that she went Facebook official with the aforementioned Broseph.  I wish them luck.  No, that wasn't a snide comment, I'm serious, I hope she's happy.  Ok, it was actually a little snide, but also had some serious aspects mixed in.


Let me Tarantino this post now.  Let's go back to Thursday afternoon with Mirage.  Mirage came over right after class so we could spend some time together before I left for the WC.  We got lunch and watched Rudy, I have this pre-sport-road-trip ritual of watching an inspirational sports movie before I leave.  Rudy is one of my favorites.  After the movie we flirted a little bit, kissed, and talked abou...WAIT OMIGOSH WHAT!?


Yes, I've set a new land-speed record for myself, three weeks from first date to first kiss.  That's ridiculous by personal standards, and I don't really know what to say about it.  I feel like Mirage and I have known each other for a lot longer than a month.  We have the exact same core interests, while also having our own unique fringe interests to keep things interesting.  We make the same dorky movie references at the same moments.  She's smart, but not the whole I'm-superior-to-you-all type of smart.


The one weird thing about "moving so quick" (haha I know by Mormon standards people have been engaged in less time than this...) is that, although she seems so familiar, I've never known so little about someone I've kissed.  I guess I'm going to have to pull out the big guns and ask the serious questions the next time we're together.


Now to less happy news.  Can I vent about trigonometry for a little bit?  I've mentioned how hard on myself I am.  I expect a lot from myself, so it hurts me to be bombing a class that I'm actually trying at.  I have learned a few lessons from this experience: 1) Don't take more than one math class in a semester, it's way too much homework when you're working full-time. 2) Next time you find out you're taking a class from a first time professor, drop it like it's hot.


I've always been at the top of my classes, and most people think it's because I'm a genius, and I usually go along with that theory, but the truth is I just pick things up quickly.  The problem with that is, you have to understand something before you can pick it up.  In the case with trigonometry I'm just not understanding anything, it took me until now to make my big breakthrough, and it just came too late.  Let's just say to pull a solid C I'll have to ace the rest of the homework, get at least an A- on the exam today, and no less than a solid A on the final, which realistically won't happen.  One of the most frustrating things is that I know that when I take it again next semester I will completely pwn it.  I really wish I had thought about withdrawing before the deadline had passed, like all of the "smartest" people in that class, which is about 1/3 the size it was after the first week or two.


Back to good news, I'll get to spend some time with Mirage this weekend!


A little more bad news, I'm pretty sure I messed up my nose in the match against Kansas.  Something in my nose crackles when I itch it, in the area of the cartilage.  It's probably nothing. 

1 comment:

singlemormonchick said...

how did i miss broseph? now she has updated her relationship status with him? i am convinced you really dont care-it seems like you are moving on in a healthy way, but her actions are just odd. whatever.
good luck with the new girl. she seems cool. :)