06 September 2010

Boring

The last month has been a complete blur.  I've been kept so busy at school and work that I find myself referring to things that happened "two weeks ago" even though it's actually been closer to two months.


Last week in one of the few windows of free time I've had I was able to take Melissa to Inception.  A movie for a first date violates one of my cardinal dating rules, but, honestly, I don't expect anything to come of this, it was just an opportunity to get out.  Melissa is a very nice girl, she's cute and funny, she's even fun to talk to, but she's not really my type for one simple reason, she's boring.  Now I'm a pretty adventurous person, I'll try just about anything once, I enjoy trying new things.  Melissa, on the other hand, is a very "safe" person.  She sticks to what she knows and doesn't like to leave her comfort zone, even when a conversation or discussion starts to get serious she'll back off.  It feels like she tries too hard to please people, and that does bother me a little bit.

Another thing that's a bit of a turn-off is that Melissa apparently hates talking about herself, which I find rare in women.  After the movie we spent some time talking, this is usually the point where I ask question after question, trying to gain as much information as I can.  I quickly learned that this wasn't going to work, I'd ask questions which I felt were good, random-facts type questions but here and there I'd ask a question and receive that "wrong choice" look that women are so good at, it only lasts a fraction of a second, but the message is clear.  In the end I decided to stick to questions about what she thought of the movie, of course Inception is a great movie for discussion, but I wasn't getting the information I wanted.


In the end I still knew next to nothing about Melissa, usually I don't take girls out until I know them reasonably well, but in this case I was hoping that a date would get her to open up a little bit more, but I was wrong.  Don't get me wrong, it was a good date, I had fun, I think she had fun, but I don't think we're compatible.

3 comments:

singlemormonchick said...

must be the season for boring dates. had my first date in a LONG time. i guess getting asked out within 3 weeks of being on the lds dating site isnt too shabby, but it was far from a success.
glad to see a post, i have missed you!

Claire said...

Seriously, where have you been? :)

Maybe it was boring because you broke the cardinal rule of no movies on first dates?

Waited For a Sister Missionary said...

I was actually thinking that making an exception actually worked out pretty well in the end. I mean we walked and talked for about an hour and a half after the movie, and that was a push. My inquisition kept getting blocked so I'd have to go back to discussing the movie again until I found another opening for a question.

She carried a good discussion, but as soon as I would try to find out more about her she would retreat. It was enormously frustrating.