18 January 2012

Like Apples and Pineapples.

Having your new girlfriend be a reader of a blog that until recently has been about your old girlfriend poses a problem.


One which Mirage mentions a lot.


The fact that there is a year-and-a-half of blog posts going on about how amazing, awesome, or perfect Hannah is.  It's enough to make a girl feel inadequate.  I'll admit, hindsight is 20/15.  Rereading some of this blog I think, "Just wait buddy, I know how this ends."


The problem is, it's part of human nature to compare ourselves to others, and also to compare other people to others.  We all do it, but the variation in how we judge people is based on how we value various attributes.  This makes it very difficult to compare people across the board, so I've made a point to judge people based on specific offerings rather than the people in general.


Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, even (SPOILER ALERT!) me.  Each lady I have dated over time has also had their strengths and weaknesses.  Liz was very athletic and sporty, but didn't reciprocate affection very well.  Hannah was very laid back, but she was too agreeable.  Mirage is very passionate, but also very intense.


Some guys say they have some kind of rating systems, however I've always found it very difficult to compare girls as a whole.  My ego would like to tell me that each former girlfriend has been superior to the previous one, and I can believe that, but even still I can't say anything quantitative like, Liz was a 8.6, Hannah was a 9.1, or Mirage is a 9.3.  In the end I have to keep each attribute independent.


There are a few things about Mirage that I've noticed lately as standouts.  With Mirage, after I say something especially nerdy, I never have to think, "Oh no, was that too nerdy?" like I did with Hannah, while I had to avoid nerdy things altogether with Liz.  While there were a lot of things I wanted to LEARN with Hannah, there are a lot of things Mirage can TEACH me.  Mirage is a lot more generally passionate, which is sometimes a double-edged sword.


I guess in the end the only comparison that's really needed is this:  I'm not with Hannah now.  I'm with Mirage.

No comments: