17 October 2011

My New Love

This really makes me laugh just thinking about what I'm about to type, but here goes.


So recently I've had the 'girlfriend hole' in my life filled.  Not with a person but with an activity.  That activity is Quidditch.  I joined my university's club team this school year and there has been no going back.  I love it.  Any time I'm not playing it I feel the slight pain of unhappiness and longing.


I talk a lot in this blog about how big of a nerd I am, and I think I down play how much of an athlete I am as well.  I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3" 190lbs.  I've played sports for more than 80% of my life, whether it was starting out with soccer, baseball, basketball, football, volleyball, and now quidditch.

I think I love quidditch so much because it's pretty much an outward expression of who I really am.  While it's an intense sport(I came home this weekend with several bruises and feeling like one giant sore muscle) you're still playing a sport from a fantasy novel, with a broom between your legs.

My team is great!  I think we're all kindred spirits, even though I only met and started playing with them a little over a month ago it feels like we've known each other for years.  Just about all of my team are people like me, former competitive athletes who also happen to be giant nerds and geeks.

We played in, and won, a quidditch tournament in Colorado this weekend, which we won, out-scoring our opponents 480-70 in four games, not including snitch catches(which are only worth 30 points in the muggle version), so in other words, we were dominant.



Anyway, we're headed to the Quidditch World Cup in New York City in three and a half weeks from today, it's pretty exciting.

I'm sure right now some of you are thinking, "Really?  Muggle Quidditch? ..." or "REALLY!? MUGGLE QUIDDITCH!? !!!" Either way, here are some links you may be interested in:



The International Quidditch Association. 

Quidditch World Cup V.

No comments: