21 April 2010

Clark Kent

Like many boys I was really into superheroes growing up.  One thing all superheroes have in common is a secret identity.  Some superheroes like Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. are pretty lucky when it comes to this aspect because they all wear masks.  One exception is Superman, growing up I could never understand how Superman could put on a pair of glasses and all of a sudden he was Clark Kent.  I mean, let's face it, people would still recognize you if you put on glasses or took glasses off, right?


A few months ago I got an eye exam.  Now, I've been wearing corrective lenses since I was about ten in the form of contacts.  This time, however, the optometrist noticed that I had a wandering vein in my eye that was getting dangerously close to my lens.  Apparently this can be caused by a lack of oxygen to your eye as a result of wearing contacts.  Since, one day, I plan to get LASIK the doctor told me I should greatly limit the amount of time I wear contacts from now on.  So for the first time in my life I have started wearing glasses.


I can't believe how many people I grew up with or went through school with don't recognize me when I see them at work, school, or where ever.  People I had classes with and talked to only a few years ago in high school say they've "never seen me before." but I guess that could be true in more ways than one.

No comments: