27 April 2010

Baseball and the Female Mind

It's finals week, that means that next week will officially begin the summer and also that all of my friend will start coming home.  This also means my first first date in about two years is coming up.


While I was sitting in church about a month ago, my phone vibrated.  Usually I would have silenced it and looked at it after.  Well as I mentioned earlier, I haven't been getting a whole lot of texts since Hannah left, so I was too excited about getting some text message communication.  The message said, "Hey!  What does ERA mean in baseball?" It was from Brandy.  I was caught a little off-guard, I hadn't heard from Brandy probably since I got the usual "Happy Birthday" post on Facebook.  As a pitcher, I could tell her that ERA is the single most important statistic in the sport: Earned Run Average.


Now I was intrigued, how many times has a girl randomly asked me about baseball?  Baseball fans are becoming more and more difficult to find these days, and girls?  Most have to ask where on the field a Shortstop plays, or call "Runs" "Points."  Here's a girl asking me the specifics of keeping statistics, probably the most important aspect of baseball.


As our conversation progressed we decided we'd have to go to a Salt Lake Bee's game when she got back from school.  I have to admit, I consider Bee's games the perfect first date.  Sitting outside in the sun on the grass, watching the game progress.  It also is a perfect opportunity to just sit and talk for 2-3 hours or not talk at all.


Now it's all a matter of time, once a day off from work coincides with a patch of warm, sunny weather this will all go down.  At the moment I don't really know how I feel, the first date thing doesn't really bother me, I knew I'd date while Hannah was gone.  But considering past experience with Brandy I'm not getting too excited.  I know that this could be great, but I could end up hoping for a low scoring game.

3 comments:

singlemormonchick said...

i am always curious about the "waiting" game.i have never done it, so i cant speak from experience, but it rarely seems to work out. you havent given a lot of details about what you and hannah agreed on. we know you are dating and have promised her at least 3 dates when she gets home. does that mean that you promised her that you wouldnt get married until after she gets home? i hope this isnt too personal. the logistics of this fascinates me and i would love to hear your take on it.

Waited For a Sister Missionary said...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm not "waiting" in the fullest sense. I feel like not dating or anything for two years is unrealistic, and probably not that healthy either. I plan to live my life and continue growing like normal.

Not getting married in the next 16 months shouldn't be an issue. I've never been in a hurry to get married, contrary to what all my friends always thought.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to getting married and having a family. However, I'm well aware that the whole everybody-gets-married-by-23 thing is specific to Utah.

singlemormonchick said...

just like adoption often brings on surprise pregnancies for infertile couples, seems like "waiting" for a missionary brings on tons of opportunities to meet the marrying types. sounds like you guys were pretty smart about it-setting reasonable expectations and all. love reading your blog, hope to see wedding pictures in 18 months or so. we are peculiar and fast. :)