28 May 2010

You Marry Who You Date

I've decided that one of my dating goals for this period that Hannah is gone is to date a non-member.


I'm not one of those people who shuns non-members.  I don't use the who you-date-who-you-marry line to convince myself to avoid non-LDS girls.  I've never dated a non-member because... well I just never have?

I don't really know what I hope to gain from this, but it seems like something I should at least think about.  Am I the only Mormon who might actually look forward to dating a non-member?  Possibly.

How do girls feel about dating non-members?  How would you feel about a guy who dated non-members?

4 comments:

singlemormonchick said...

i actually wrote a post on my blog about this very thing. i almost dated non members exclusively. i grew up in a small town where all the lds guys were complete as-i mean jerks. the first lds guy i dated was a rm that i met when i snuck into an institute dance when i was 16 or 17. i married a non member. i think the adage is true, but i dont think there is anything wrong with extending your dating circle. is temple marriage important to you or is it something you assumed you would do because you have only dated lds girls?

Waited For a Sister Missionary said...

Temple marriage is important to me.

At the same time, if I loved a non-member there's no way I'd break it off because we couldn't have one at the time. That just seems like trying to predict the future.

Anonymous said...

I grew up back east where there are NO lds guys so I was always dating non-lds guys. I was fine with it as long as I made sure they knew my standars.

Waited For a Sister Missionary said...

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's all about standards.

Unfortunately, here in Utah, the Mormon Culture has a view of non-members, that they're all tattooed, drinking, swearing, fornicating druggies. Obviously they aren't, and any non-members who are like that aren't my type.